As Richard P. Rumelt puts it in Good Strategy/Bad Strategy, “the core of strategy work is always the same: discovering the critical factors in a situation, and designing a way of coordinating and focusing actions to deal with these factors.” The Platform Business Strategy Canvas is the perfect tool to coordinate and focus actions on the critical factors in the strategy for a platform business (e.g. marketplace).
The Platform Business Strategy Canvas is the companion to:
- my upcoming book on product strategy for platform businesses — “Yeah… But…”: A Practical Guide to Product Strategy for Platform Businesses;
- my workshops on product strategy for platform businesses.
In the first chapters of the book, we discover the critical factors in a platform business:
- the core job,
- the network effects,
- ways to overcome the chicken and egg problem, and
- the fundamental product risks (value, usability, feasibility).
The Platform Business Strategy Canvas helps you put them together and play them against each other to craft a successful strategy.
Get the book
The book is ready to be out in early 2022.
If you’re into reading and providing feedback on a draft, please subscribe to my newsletter. Don’t forget to mention why you’d like to be an early reader, and what you bring to the table with your feedback!
Sign up for a workshop
I run an online, half-day workshop on product strategy for platform businesses. It follows the same structure of the book and is highly interactive and hands-on. I’ve done it as part of world-class product management events, like Productized and JAM, with an NPS of 57.
Get in touch if you’d like to:
- know about upcoming editions of the workshop;
- discuss the possibility of running a workshop for you and your team.